Welcome to the “Work with Me” Page of the website. Hi, I’m Úna-Minh Kavanagh, and I’m the chief scribbler here at the good news website WeAreIrish.ie and BeforeMyMamDies.com. I’ve got a background in journalism and new media, and a BA in Gaeilge agus Iriseoireacht (Irish and Journalism) from DCU. I’m a fluent Irish speaker and have been blogging online since 2011.
Let’s work together!
WeAreIrish.ie is open to collaborations. Interested? Contact me here.
I’ve worked in everything from Internet research and social media management to proofreading, news-writing, and multimedia content creation. I’ve done talks, been on podcasts, panels and have hosted blogging masterclasses.
My book Anseo came out in 2019 and was published by New Island Books and I’m currently working on my second book. Please feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn and let me know if you’re coming from this page.
Despite the “Minh” part of my name and how I look, I’m very much Irish. I am a native English speaker and I’m fluent in the Irish language.
Here’s why you should work with me.
As a freelancer, I am flexible with respect to the variety of work you may need as well as working hours and time differences. I’m well-rounded, open-minded and eagerly listen and learn from my clients to give them all an individualised service.
My previous clients include PR companies, museums, magazines, tour companies, business websites, and tourism boards. I’m always up for a challenge.
Advertising, Campaigns, Content Creation through We Are Irish
There are several options you can choose from, should you decide that you’d like to work with me. All of these would require me chatting with you about what you’d like either by phone/email/Skype to get a better picture. Below are just a few ideas:
Branded Content: Your product/company receives its own promotional post written by me but in my own voice. How many times it’s shared and time frames can be negotiated. All posts supported by advertising must contain a disclosure statement within the piece.
Campaigns: Can include real-time social media coverage, several blog posts featuring the destination or brand, targeted social media events like Twitter chats, TikTok videos, live-streams, or content creation.
Advertising: Can include side banners or featured posts on the homepage of WeAreIrish.ie or on post pages.
Working with brands
For WeAreIrish, I will only look to partner/work with brands that reflect my values for this site: companies that promote good, positive Irish news, stories and preferably brands that demonstrate a commitment to sustainable tourism with an Irish connection.
In the Press
As a journalist, I’ve been featured in the media in a variety of capacities over many years therefore this isn’t a complete list – also some of the links have expired on the original site they were hosted on.
- June 25th, 2013 – Radio Kerry: Youths questioned about racial abuse of young Kerry woman
- March 29th, 2016 – A shoutout on air by Darragh Doyle on Newstalk
- July 28th, 2016 – Radio Kerry on Talkabout with Marian O’Flaherty, chatting about the blog, its origins and plans for the future
- April 17th, 2017 – Newstalk: #WeAreIrish
- November 10th, 2019 – Newstalk: Is Ireland a welcoming nation?
- November, 19th, 2019 – Clare FM: Morning Focus
- November, 22nd, 2019 – RTÉ 2fm Jennifer Zamparelli show
- December, 18th, 2019 – RTÉ Radio One The Ray D’Arcy show interview
- June 1st, 2013 – The Irish Times (Print and online)
- October 13th, 2013 – The New York Times: Some Irish Need Not Apply
- November 14th, 2014 – The Kerryman: Tralee Blogger Una Minh’s Ballymaloe tales win fans
- February 27th, 2017 – The Independent: Irish victim of racial slurs goes viral with her cartoon of ongoing abuse (Print and online)
- January 29th, 2018 – The Irish Examiner: Online Lives (Print and Online)
- March 30th, 2019 – The Times: Every day is mother’s day as duo travel the world together (Print and online)
- October 21st, 2019 – Kerry’s Eye: Piece on my book by Breda Joy
- October 30th, 2019 – The Kerryman: Céad Míle Fáilte? (Print and online)
- November 10th – The Sunday Times: Pavel Barter piece on gaming and Ireland
- November 14th, 2019 – Hot Press Magazine: On the cover. Interview and review of my book
- November 16th, 2019 – The Independent: Piece on my book by Kim Bielenberg
- November 23rd, 2019 – The Irish Times: Anseo: a beautiful book interweaving family, race, Gaeilge and social media (Print and online – Review of my book)
- November 27th, 2019 – University Observer: Piece on my book as Gaeilge
- December 2nd, 2019 – UCC Express: Agallamh le Hugh O’Reilly Fitzgerald
- December 7th, 2019 – The Irish Examiner: Interview with Sue Leonard
- January 2020 – Fórsa Trade Union Magazine: Piece on my book
- September 10th, 2014 – Technology.ie: Úna Spills the Beans on Food [Podcast]
- February 25th, 2015 – MediaHQ: Featured Journalist
- March 31st, 2015 – SpunOut: 5 ways to support an unemployed friend
- November 3rd, 2015 – Mental Health Ireland: Don’t be embarrassed to ask for help
- October 17th, 2016 – See Change
- November 10th, 2016 – Spiderworking: A Year Of Podcasting: The Listener Episode – Blogcentric Podcast #52
- December 20th, 2016 – The Journal.ie: Christmas with depression: ‘Even putting on clothes can be hard when there’s a lingering dark cloud’
- 2017 – SHEmazing: ‘What’s Irish for mic drop?’ This Kerrywoman just OWNED a troll
- February 28th, 2017 – The Daily Edge: This Gaeilgeoir had the best response for a man who questioned her ‘Irishness’
- March 3rd, 2017 – VienDong: Cô gái gốc Việt kể chuyện bị kỳ thị tại Ái Nhĩ Lan
- April 19th, 2017 – BreakingNews.ie: Kerry woman launches campaign to recognise diverse Irish society
- April 19th, 2017 – Lovin.ie: A Campaign Celebrating Ireland’s Diverse Society Has Been Launched
- April 22nd, 2017 – Irish Central: The #WeAreIrish hashtag on Twitter just got very racist
- 2017 – 2018 Worked as a journalist for the Lonely Planet newsroom
- October 15th, 2019 – Tralee Today: Piece on book launch
- November 6th, 2019 – RSVP: Kerry’s most influential women at home and abroad
- November 13th, 2019 – Dublin Inquirer: My book reviewed
- November 30th, 2019 – Smart Thinking Books
- 2019 – Journalist on the Run: 9 Best Travel Gifts For Her: The Travel Lover In Your Life
Interested? Contact We Are Irish here.